Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday, May 6, 2013 - Week 17


Mom and Dad,

So first things first, Mother's Day calls. You'll need to call our cell phone because our phones can't make international calls. No Skype unfortunately.
The number you'll need to call is: 011 81 80 2149 6499
That has the country codes and everything else taken care of. It would be best if you called at about 10:00am Monday the 13th our time. (I think that's about 7:00pm on Sunday evening for you). I've got 59 minutes tops - I hope to keep it around 30-40 minutes if that's all right.

Dad, I purchased an electronic dictionary as well as a few other things around that time - all of that seems to be in order. Thanks for letting me know. This month is going to be a bit weird financially because we're going to be traveling a lot. Right now I'm in Okayama for Zone Conferences (we had to come this morning in order to be on time for it tomorrow). Then, since Elder Day is District Leader, we're going to be traveling to do 2 baptismal interviews for Sunday. The areas are pretty spread out so we'll be spending plenty of time on a bus. Then, around the 22nd there's going to be a Seventy taikai in Okayama. On top of all of that the Church financial system is going to be down for 3 weeks in May for updates. So it's been crazy this last week figuring things all out in order to get in reimbursements before the update happens.
It's so wonderful to hear about everything going on at home! Great to hear that the Abney's received another mission call. It's so exciting to hear about all of the missionaries that our ward will be sending off. The world and all of God's children need the Gospel.

Glad to hear the weather has been improving for you. It's been warming up a lot here. It's been pretty stressful lately helping our 17 year old Yakusokusha prepare for baptism this Sunday. I'm pleased to say that he talked with his mom and she said he is free to do as he wishes. With that worry out of the way our only other obstacle is being able to meet with him. It's been difficult meeting with him because he's so busy with school and cram school and piano too. But he's such an amazing kid. He's got so much faith and has already read up to Alma 40-ish in the Book of Mormon. He committed to stop drinking coffee in order to live the Word of Wisdom, because he understands and believes that it is a necessary step to take in order to return to our Heavenly Father. He's really an amazing young man. Elder Day and I have been fasting and praying so that we'll be able to meet with him enough times to teach before Sunday and so that he'll be converted to Jesus Christ at the time he receives baptism. We have faith that so long as we do all we can, through the enabling power of the Atonement the rest will be made up.

This last week as I have been thinking I've come to realize just how blessed I am as a missionary with resources to help me do what The Lord wants. I remember studying in Preach My Gospel before my mission and while in the MTC and marking and noticing all of the promises that are made to missionaries who follow the inspired teachings about how The Lord wants His missionaries to work. I would read over something and think, "Wow, that's cool, I hope to try that." and then keep reading. It's completely different now that everyday I'm afforded the opportunity to live PMG. It's absolutely amazing to see the blessings and success that come when I put aside how I think the best way would be to do something (a streeting contact, teaching a lesson, etc.) and just follow what PMG says.
I'm still doing fine. It's definitely been trying my faith getting our Mother's Day Yakusokusha prepared. I still firmly believe that the mission goal was set on revelation - and that the Lord will provide a way for us to do the things which He has commanded. I am ever grateful for your support and your prayers!

Love,
Elder Kyle Hutchings