Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday, May 20, 2013 - Week 19

Mom and Dad,

Oh my goodness! Ally and Justin are speaking next Sunday!? Wow! When do they enter the MTC? It's so exciting to think that they are getting ready to head out in the service of the Lord. Dendo is the best and they'll be amazing missionaries! This last week during weekly planning session as Elder Day and I were setting this weeks goals I had some time to think about my progress so far. It's amazing to me to see the changes in myself and all the things the Lord has taught me. It's even more amazing to me to think of how much I've grown when I consider that I've been thinking about other people way more now than I ever have in my life.

It's been another good week! This last week seemed to go by especially quick. We've been keeping busy as always. I'm really excited for this week! We're going to Okayama for a taikai with Elder Aoyagi. I'm sure it will be an amazing chance to learn a lot!

Just yesterday one of our newer investigator's came to church. He's a humble and quiet old man in his 60's. He feels bad when we meet with him because he doesn't understand everything (and we've just been discussing Heavenly Father and prayer with him as simply as possible). He came to church and sacrament meeting was good for him. In Priesthood, however, the poor man was in for it. The brother in the branch who taught the lesson used to work in the temple and has an incredibly deep doctrinal understanding. He taught a super deep lesson on eternal marriages and ordinances and exaltation. I'm pretty sure even if I could have understood the Japanese, I wouldn't have been able to understand what he was saying. Not so great for our investigator. Afterward we were talking with our investigator and he said, "I'm not sure if I'll keep coming to church. I just don't get anything." Thankfully though, we were able to help him understand that learning these things takes time, prayer, and study. He's still willing to meet with us, and he'll probably come to church next week.

In terms of our newest yakusokusha, things have been going pretty well. She's still really determined to receive baptism. We were going to move her baptismal date to this Sunday, but she didn't come to church or meet with us yesterday - she totsuzen cancelled on both. Had she been able to meet with us yesterday, we felt she could have been prepared for baptism this Sunday. As much as we want her to enter into the gate of Baptism on the 26th, we know that she needs to be prepared before she makes a covenant with Heavenly Father. The most important thing is her conversion and salvation, not us seeing a baptism.

Mom and Dad, thank you so much for all you do for me. Thank you for telling me that you are proud of me. It really means so much to me - now more than ever - to have your approval, support, and encouragement. Thanks for sending a package too! I am very much looking forward to it!

Love,
Elder Kyle Hutchings


P.S. That spider was chilling out in the bike parking area of one our investigator's apartment building. I took a picture of it yesterday.