Monday, April 8, 2013

Monday, April 8, 2013 - Week 13

Mom and Dad,

I am so excited to tell you that just yesterday the 17 year old young man we met just a week ago from last Saturday accepted an invitation to be baptized! We set a baptismal date for Mother's day! I'm so excited that he's made the decision to begin down the Gospel path back to our Heavenly Father. He came to church with us yesterday and he said he enjoyed it. It was fast and testimony meeting, and he felt something special during the testimonies of the members. We actually don't have General Conference until this next Saturday and Sunday - we watch the sessions on DVD at the Church.

We had another investigator this last week accept the invitation to be baptized. However, he's leaving for a few months because his job is doing some sort of a transfer thing (I think he works in construction) and so we weren't able to set a date. But I have a really good feeling about him. We are going to refer him to the missionaries in the area he's going to be at (he said he'll still meet with them). Another one of our investigators knows that she needs to be baptized, but she's not sure about setting a date with us. She's got a Jehovah's Witness friend she's been meeting for a year or so, and she says she's split between being baptized with them or us. But, she's got a lot of doubts about the Jehovah's Witness teachings and we feel confident and are praying that after meeting with us another couple of times she'll feel the Spirit whisper to her heart what's true. I really wish I could tell you the names of my investigators, but we're not supposed to. Since these e-mails get forwarded everywhere and to everybody, we're instructed to respect the privacy of our investigators and not include their names.

I have felt so blessed these last few weeks. God has allowed my companion and I to see successes. I remember in the MTC a speaker talked about 2 types of success as a missionary. The first is based on your commitment to be obedient and work your hardest. The second is more about whether or not your investigators progress, getting new investigators, baptisms, etc. The first you can control. But the second is dependent on the agency of others - and while your actions may influence it, ultimately success in the second sense is a gift. Only God can soften hearts and bring about changes that effect the eternal salvation of a soul - and I feel grateful that I've been blessed to see such success occur.

It's so wonderful to hear about General Conference and I'm so tanoshimi! (excited/anticipating) I love hearing about everyone being together at home for conference. It's definitely makes me miss home a bit, but I'm super excited to be able to experience General Conference in Japan! I'm not sure if they'll have it in English for Elder Day and I. If it's in Ni Hon Go then I will ganbarou! (do my best)

Philip is a father already?! Whoa...I sort of forgot that Kari was pregnant. Gomenne. (sorry) But I didn't think it would be so soon. Haha! Super taihen (worrisome) to hear about Uncle Troy. I hope everything goes well for him, and I will not forget him in my prayers. Please tell him I love him and wish I could be home to raid his pantry. Michael Moos is coming to Kobe?! That's saikou! (the best) If I remember correctly, he was in my music theory class. He's awesome!

Mom, to answer your question, we e-mail from a gaijin (foreigner) lounge/center/place. It's kind of like a library...I'm not really sure what to call it. But, we can use computers with internet access for free.

Dad, to answer your question, we were...whitewashed? (I think that's what it's called - don't really know or care). Elder Day was new to the area as well. It wasn't too bad though since we had Nakatsuka Choro for a few weeks. He had been here the whole time his visa had been delayed - so he helped us get around and meet the investigators and things.

I love you so much and always love to hear about things at home. Thank you for all of your encouragement, support, and words of wisdom.

Love,
Elder Kyle Hutchings